O.E. won't open -- unable to create 'Internet Account Manager'?
gristen
2003-12-31 20:24:53 UTC
I'm running Windows 98SE on an older 500 Mhz Celeron (64
MB) with Outlook Express 5.5, originally upgraded from OEM
ver. 5. Whenever the O.E. icon is double-clicked (or
a "mailto:" weblink), the following error messages result:

"Outlook Express could not be started. The application
was unable to create the Internet Account Manager. Your
computer may be out of memory or your disk is full.
Contact Microsoft Support for further assistance.
(0x800CCD01)."

So you click "OK" and it gives the following additional
msg.:

"Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL
could not be initialized. Outlook Express may not be
installed correctly."

What is the "Internet Account Manager"? I do not have MSN
or Windows Messenger installed (nor do I plan to anytime
soon) due to insufficient memory to run these add-ons.
The program reportedly worked fine for the pc's previous
owner, whom had subsequently deleted their user profile
shortly after the problem started. We tried deleting the
folders.dbx files (there's currently just one left), but
that didn't help any. We created a new guest user profile
and O.E. seems to be working ok there. Also Incredimail
is functioning; so it doesn't seem to be anything wrong
with the Windows system files. At one time all the mail
accounts had been deleted, as the ISP was changed. Any
solutions suggested would be greatly appreciated.
PA Bear
2003-12-31 21:57:36 UTC
See these pages, in order:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/errors.htm#foldersdbx